ADDRESS BY THE INSPECTOR-GENERAL OF POLICE, MOHAMMED ADAMU, NPM, mni, AT THE COMMISSIONING OF NIGERIA POLICE RADIO 99.1 FM ON WEDNESDAY 31ST MARCH, 2021.
It is with great sense of professional fulfilment that I welcome the distinguished Deputy Senate President, Honourable Minister of Police Affairs, other dignitaries, invited guests, and members of the press, to this epoch-making event which is the commissioning of the Nigeria Police Radio 99.1FM. This is a legacy project which was conceived, nurtured and actualized by the Nigeria Police Force.
2.Your Excellences, ladies and gentlemen, on assumption of office as the 20th indigenous Inspector-General of Police, we introduced some strategies to combat crimes and stabilize security across the country. As part of the implementation processes, we appreciated the need to bolster partnership and good working relationship between the police and the people in our various communities. One of these strategies is the construction and set-up of this community-based radio station – the Nigeria Police 99.1FM Radio which is targeted at bringing the police closer to the people.
3. I appreciate thePresident and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces, His Excellency, Muhammadu Buhari for the Federal Government’s unrelenting commitment to the security and safety of the Nigerians and the support for the Nigeria Police in the enhancement of our operational capacity. The Nigeria Police 99.1FM Radio is a product of this laudable gestures and it is within the vision of our Community Policing initiative which emphasizes smooth information flow towards strengthening the bond between the citizens and the Police.
4. The Nigeria Police 99.1FM Radio has since commenced test transmission in line with the National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) code and operational regulations. The radio station will serve as a veritable avenue for the Nigeria Police to engage, enlighten and inform the public on policing activities and other security-related matters. It will also air phone-in programs to involve the citizens in the security of their localities especially on ways to spot and report crimes and other necessary steps to take in the event of a crime or security emergency. From this moment, there will be interaction and people-oriented programs which would help strengthen police-citizens relations and will serve as a trusted point for resolution of complaints by citizens.
5. Let me express my sincere gratitude to the National Broadcasting Commission for joining forces with us in actualizing this vision by granting the NPF radio Operational Licence and Frequency to transmit as a Community Radio. Our appreciation also goes to the leadership of the Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (FRCN) and other private/government radio broadcast service providers for providing mentorship to the staff officers of the Radio station which ensured hitch-free take off of operations.
6. I assure Nigerians that the Nigeria Police Radio will pave way for continuous proactive policing in the country and will further strengthen the bond between the police and the people. I also want to reiterate our commitment to the fight against crimes, protect life and property, preserve law and order and uphold fundamental human rights as enshrined in the Constitution.
7. I thank you all immensely for honouring our invitation and pray that the Almighty Allah (SWT) continually bless you and keep our dear nation safe.
8. Your Excellences, at this juncture, may I request your kind indulgence to undertake a tour of this ecstatic facility.