The President Muhammadu Buhari Federal Government, has said that the six Nigerians convicted for terrorism in the United Arab Emirates, UAE, can further appeal their conviction to the UAE Supreme Court,
The government noted that the Convicts lost their appeal, but stated that they could file a fresh appeal to the Apex Court in the UAE, if they wish.
The men who were convicted for funding Boko Haram terrorism in Nigeria, for many years, made cash transfers in favour of the sect to the tune of $782,000.
The report further stated that two of the Convicts, Surajo Abubakar Muhammad and Saleh Yusuf Adamu, were sentenced to life imprisonment, while the remaining four, Ibrahim Ali Alhassan, AbdurRahman Ado Musa, Bashir Ali Yusuf, and Muhammad Ibrahim Isa, were handed ten-year imprisonment, each.
Commenting on the development, the Chairman of the Nigerians in Diaspora Commission, Abike Dabiri-Erewa, said that the men could approach the UAE Supreme Court, if they so desire.
Dabiri-Erewa in a tweet on Monday stated: “They can approach the Supreme Court, if they so desire, as we continue to appeal to Nigerians all over the world to desist from crime and criminality. The case had been in court since 2015.”
Also, the Spokesman for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Mr. Ferdinand Nwonye, said that the President Buhari Federal Government will be exploring various options, including diplomatic avenues, to help the Convicts, but noted that there is no official position on the case for now.
More news later…